Prepare yourselves for the Ultimate Chocolate Pancakes!
And we bring you this Recipe days ahead of Pancake Day! Just in time for you all to gather your ingredients and make these incredible dark, dreamy pancakes.
Last year we shared our Fluffy Vanilla Bean Pancake Recipe and they were quite literally hard to beat, however these have proved to be a new favourite with my chocolate loving Kiddies!
These Pancakes are like the American style with a thick cake like texture, created by using self raising flour for the rise, cocoa powder for the chocolate taste and a mixture of buttermilk, milk and eggs all whisked up for the thick moist texture when cooked. We have added sugar for a hint of sweetness, and not forgetting our favourite, Nutella!
Unlike thin crepe style pancakes which have a thin runny liquid batter (which my Husband loves shall I just add), these have a thick and creamy like cake mix batter. Baked in a frying pan in small round circles for less than a minute on each side, they are ready to go with whichever toppings you love best.
We topped ours off with Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and our quick and easy 5 minute hot chocolate sauce, made with dark chocolate, milk, honey, butter and vanilla all melted down to a creamy easy pouring sauce. Heavenly ♥
Going, going, GONE!
This Recipe is definitely one that will be used by us for many many years to come, and live on in many pancake lovers of the future.
HAPPY PANCAKE DAY!
PS……We love to see your takes on our bakes! Please share your photos with us on Instagram with a #sweetenchanted
- 125gr Self Raising Flour
- 25gr Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 5 Tbls Caster Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 200ml Buttermilk
- 50ml Milk
- 4 Tbls Nutella
- 100gr Dark Chocolate (70%+ Cocoa Solids)
- 2 Tbls Honey
- 2 Tbls Unsalted Butter
- 75ml Full Fat Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla bean paste or extract
- Medium or Small Sized Frying Pan
- Frylight Butter Frying Spray or Vegetable Oil
- Spatula or Large Egg Flipper
- Sieve all of your dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together until all combined, set aside.
- Add your eggs, milk, buttermilk and vanilla into a jug and whisk together well with a fork then pour into your dry ingredients.
- Add your nutella and use a large whisk to whisk all together vigorously until smooth and creamy with no lumps.
- Place a medium or small frying pan onto a medium heat and add a couple of sprays of frying spray, or a tsp of vegetable oil and kitchen towel to carefully grease the centre of the frying pan. Allow a minute to heat.
- Add a large serving spoonful or 1/4 cup of pancake mixture into the centre of your pan using the tip of a spoon to spread out into a circle shape, then allow to cook for roughly 30 to 45 seconds (until the mixture starts to bubble) then use a spatula or egg flipper to slide under the pancake to turn over and repeat on the reverse side. Slide off the pan and place onto a plate. Do turn your heat down if they are burning and not cooking slowly.
- Repeat with your remaining mixture, adding a couple of sprays of frylight spray or vegetable oil in-between each pancake.
- *To keep your pancakes warm you can place them on a plate in the centre of your oven on low heat until all cooked ready to serve.
- Break up your chocolate into small squares and place into a medium heatproof bowl.
- Fill a small saucepan 1/4 full with water and place onto a medium heat until boiling, then place your bowl of chocolate on top holding with a tea towel and stirring with a spoon until all of your chocolate is melted with no lumps.
- Add you honey and butter and mix in, then take off the heat and add your milk slowly, use a whisk to whisk all together until your sauce is creamy and ready to pour. Add more milk if still too thick, you want it to be runny and pourable, not too thick.